Nam Khao (Laotian Crispy Rice Salad)
|For the crispy rice patties|
|Galangal||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Thai chilies||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon grass||3 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Shallots||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Garlic||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Jasmine rice||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Cooked)|
|Fish sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|For the pork balls|
|Ground pork||1 Pound|
|Garlic||10 Clove (50 gm), chopped finely|
|Jasmine rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Cooked)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (To season)|
|For the assembling of the salad|
|Shallots||10 Medium, diced|
|Cilantro||3 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Green onion||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Ginger||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), julienned|
|Lime juice||6 Tablespoon|
|Dried chilies||15 Medium|
|Fish sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|For the garnish|
|Roasted peanuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), crushed|
|Lime||2 Medium, wedged|
1. In a blender put it some Galangal, lemon grass, chilies, shallots and garlic and blend with some oil to make a paste.
2. Take a bowl add the prepared paste with some cooked jasmine rice. Add a dash of fish sauce and an egg to mold it together. Mix it together by your hands, cover it and set it aside.
3. In a bowl along with the ground pork, add finely chopped garlic and some of the cooked jasmine rice. Season it with salt. Combine well and form them into 16 meat balls of equal size.
4. In a steamer put the meat balls to cook it. Make sure not to overcook the meat balls.
5. To make the crispy rice, moisten your hands and take the rice mixture and form patties. Take a skillet with hot oil and fry them until they are golden brown.
6. In a large mixing bowl, crumble the pork balls, then add green onion and ginger. Also add diced shallots and cilantro. Top it with some lime juice and fish sauce. Break up the crispy rice patties into it and garnish with peanuts.
7. Serve the salad with lemon wedges.
Calories 1060 Calories from Fat 378
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g65.9%
Saturated Fat 11.6 g58.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 128.2 mg42.7%
Sodium 1917.2 mg79.9%
Total Carbohydrates 134 g44.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.4%
Sugars 4.4 g
Protein 37 g74.4%
Vitamin A 56.4% Vitamin C 50.7%
Calcium 18.8% Iron 26.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet