Asian Meatballs in Sweet and Sour Sauce
|Ground turkey||20 Ounce|
|Sausage||8 Ounce, finely minced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely grated|
|Fresh ginger||1 Teaspoon, finely grated|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Small, grated|
|Hot sauce||1 Tablespoon (Sambal, Sriracha, Or Your Favorite Hot Sauce)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Duck sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Chinese five spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Hot pepper flakes||To Taste|
|Honey||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Apricot jam||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the scallions, garlic, ginger, carrot, hot sauce, soy sauce, duck sauce, five spice, egg and hot pepper flakes, then set it aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the sausage and ground turkey until it is well mixed.
4. Add the spice mixture and mix thoroughly so that the seasonings are well distributed throughout the meat.
5. Form the meat mixture into small balls (1 1/2 inches in diameter) and place them onto a foil lined baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray.
6. Spray the tops of the meatballs with nonstick spray since it will help in the browning process.
7. Bake them for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
8. Turn them over and bake them for an additional 10 minutes.
9. For the sauce, in a large shallow sauté pan combine all of the sauce ingredients.
10. Cook over medium heat and gently stir as you heat everything together.
11. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
12. Add the finished meatballs to the sauce and toss them gently to coat them before serving.
13. Serve hot with the extra sauce on the side for dipping.