|For the roast|
|Tomato paste||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Garlic head||1 , peeled|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried tarragon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaves||2 Small|
|Dried chili pepper||1 Small|
|Chuck roast||2 1⁄2 Pound (chuck round eye roast)|
|Onion||1 Large, dice|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon (3 extra tbsp, optional to taste)|
|Red wine/Beef broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grape seed oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For the baby potatoes and carrots|
|Baby potatoes||2 1⁄2 Pound, boil|
|Baby carrots||1 Pound, boil|
|Butter||5 Tablespoon, divided|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
1. Dice the onions and peel the garlic, set it aside.
2. Wash and boil the potatoes and carrots until fork tender, drain and set aside.
3. Place the meat on a saran wrap and make small slits in the meat and stuff it with garlic cloves, continue until all the sides are stuffed with garlic.
4. Sprinkle salt and pepper on each side, using a twine tie the roast, set aside.
5. In a large pan pour ½ cup of oil add the onions and meat, brown the meat for 2-3 minutes on each side, stir the onions as well occasionally.
6. In bowl combine tomato paste and dried basil in ¾ cup of water, add this mixture to the pan.
7. Add red wine, bay leaf, lemon pepper, salt and pepper, lemon juice, 8 garlic cloves and 1 cup of water.
8. Stir everything well, cook the meat for 1 hour covered on medium high, keep basting the meat with the liquid occasionally.
9. After 1 hour turn the heat down to low, turn the meat, baste it and taste seasoning.
10. Cover and cook for 2 hours and 10 minutes or until fork tender.
11. After 2 hours and ten minute, transfer the meat in to a dish and leave the liquid in the pan, because the liquid has to reduce and be really concentrated.
12. Let the liquid in the pan reduce on low heat.
13. Place the meat in a 200 degree oven to keep it warm, cover the dish with foil.
14. In the meantime start on the potatoes and carrots, in a large pan melt 3 tablespoon of butter, add the potatoes and toss it with the melted butter, season with salt and let the potatoes brown slightly.
15. Once done place the pan in the oven to keep it warm.
16. In another melt 1 ½ tablespoon of butter and add the carrots, 1 pinch sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, sauté and brown them slightly. Place it in the oven to keep it warm.
17. Place the meat in the reduced pot and slice the meat once the meat has moistened.
18. Place the meat in a serving platter; place the potatoes and carrots around the meat.
19. Serve the meat along with naan or plain steamed rice.
If using beef broth then use 2 tablespoon of lemon juice.
The meat needs liquids to cook hence transfer it into a smaller pot. .
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4404 Calories from Fat 2040
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 230 g354%
Saturated Fat 70.8 g354.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 773.7 mg257.9%
Sodium 3834 mg159.7%
Total Carbohydrates 267 g88.9%
Dietary Fiber 47.1 g188.6%
Sugars 78.6 g
Protein 285 g570.7%
Vitamin A 1508.9% Vitamin C 446.6%
Calcium 104.7% Iron 209.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet