Buche De Noel
|Sifted cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cocoa powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|10x confectioners' powdered sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Coffee cream filling||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Chocolate butter frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) Lightly grease 15X10X1-inch baking pan and line with wax paper and grease paper.
3) In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
4) In a medium bowl, beat eggs until thick and creamy.
5) While still beating add in granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture is very thick.
6) Stream in water and vanilla and fold in flour mixture.
7) Transfer the batter and spread evenly in the baking pan.
8) Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9) Cut around cake about 1/4 inch from edge of pan with a sharp knife.
10) Dust a clean towel with 10X sugar.
11) Turn out the cake onto the towel and peel off wax paper.
12) Begin with the long side and roll up cake.
13) Cover the cake in towel and place over a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
14) Unroll cake gently and spread with coffee cream filling and reroll.
15) Place on a serving plate and cut a 1/2-inch-thick slice from one end of cake roll.
16) Take out the inner coil and reshape tightly to form a "knot" on a log.
17) Spread with a bit of chocolate butter frosting.
18) Cover the cake roll with remaining frosting; draw the tines of a fork lengthwise through frosting to resemble "bark"; press "knot" onto side.
19) Dredge the ends of roll with chopped pistachio nuts, dust top with 10X sugar and garnish with miniature mushrooms if needed, if desired.
20) Refrigerate until needed.
21) Slice the cake crosswise into thick slices and serve chilled.