Javanese Fried Rice
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Instant chicken broth/Chicken -bouillon cubes - 2||2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Curry powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Uncooked regular rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Peanut oil/Vegetable oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground mace||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Slivered almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), toasted|
|Fresh shrimps/Deveined shrimps - 1 can (about 5 ounces) drained and rinsed||1 Pound, cooked and deveined|
1. Take a large saucepan and add water to it. Stir in chicken broth or bouillon cubes, curry powder or cumin seeds and rice and cook for about 15- 20 minutes until the rice turns just soft and liquid gets absorbed completely. Spread the rice into a large bowl, cool, chill. Ensure that rice stays dry, with each grain separated from each other, before frying.
2. Take a large frying pan; add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil or peanut oil and saute garlic and onion in it until they turn soft. Remove and keep it aside.
3. Spoon the rice onto paper towel, and separate the grains by fluffing with fork. Saute the rice very lightly in 2 tbsp oil by adding only half of it at a time. Use 2 tbsp oil for sauteing each half of rice. Spoon all the rice back to pan and stir in seasonings, onion mixture and almonds.
4. Preserve one whole shrimp for garnishing, and cut the remaining and add it into rice mixture. Cover and heat slowly for about 5 minutes until the mixture gets heated through.
5. Take a hot serving tray or serving platter and place a cone over it. Spoon this rice mixture into this cone and garnish it with saved whole shrimp. Line it with soy beef sate, pineapple -banana sticks, ginger pork sates, butter -crisp chicken and bowls of cucumber crispy, chutney, flake coconut, radish thins, spicy peanut dip, and green -onion, chop-chop. The rice is first served followed by meats, fruits and lastly other condiments.