Rice Pilaf with Chicken - Easy Chicken
|For the chicken|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken thighs||12 Medium|
|Celery ribs||2 Medium|
|Bay leaf||1 Medium|
|Cardamom pods||3 Medium|
|Ground coriander seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper/White pepper||1 Pinch|
|Chili flakes||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into 1.5-inch long pieces|
|Garlic cloves||2 Medium, roughly chopped|
|Brown rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Soaked in water for at least 8 hours)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Use as directed on rice package)|
1. Soak the brown rice in water for 8 - 12 hours.
2. Drain the soaked rice and set aside.
3. Heat a skillet with oil to high heat.
4. Place chicken thighs on a skillet skin down.
5. After about 5 - 7 minutes, when the skin becomes golden brown, remove thighs to a plate.
6. Add onion and celery to the skillet and caramelize them for a couple of minutes.
7. Now add all the spices to the skillet. Mix oil with vegetables and spices and let simmer for 10 seconds.
8. To the skillet, add chicken thighs skin side up.
9. Add all the carrots and place them between the thighs.
10. Lower the heat to medium low and add garlic. Pop the lid on and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
11. After 10 minutes, add the rice in between the chicken, cover with water, pop the lid on, and let simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until the rice is puffed.
12. After about 30 minutes, check the rice and if it is not fully cooked, add 1/4 cup of water and continue to simmer.
13. Serve warm and enjoy!