1. Score an ‘x” on each tomato and place in a large saucepan.
2. Cover with just enough water to come up to about 3/4ths of the tomatoes.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer until the tomato skins are wrinkled and the tomatoes are cooked through.
4. Place the cooked tomatoes in a blender along with the coconut and puree until smooth.
5. Pass through a soup strainer and return to heat.
6. Season with salt and sugar.
7. In a small iron or other metal ladle (or similar utensil), heat the ghee.
8. When smoking hot, add the mustard leaves, curry leaves, chilies and asafetida. Turn off the heat.
9. Plunge the ladle into the pot of soup and serve hot with bread of choice.
10. Spoon a bit of the tempering onto each soup bowl just before serving.