Zereshk Polo ba Morgh
|For the rice|
|Basmati rice||3 Cup (48 tbs), rinsed (rinsed 3 - 4 times and soaked in salted water for about 3 hours, for rice)|
|Salt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Soaked in salt water)|
|Hot water||4 Cup (64 tbs) (For soaking the rice)|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs) (For cooking the rice)|
|Grapeseed oil||1 Tablespoon|
|For the barberry|
|Barberry||3 Cup (48 tbs), cleaned|
|Water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Ground saffron||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Rose water||1 Teaspoon (optional, for rice) (Optional)|
|Grape seed oil||1 Tablespoon|
|For the chicken|
|Onion||1 Medium, dice (diced into 1 inch pieces)|
|Chicken broth/White wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaf||1 Large|
|Ginger piece||1 Small (1 inch peice)|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Garlic clove||7 Medium, peeled|
|Lemon pepper||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Ground saffron||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chicken breast boneless skinless||2 (trimmed of excess fat)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
1. Trim the chicken breast of excess fat, dice the onions, peel the garlic, and keep everything aside.
2. In a large bowl soak the rice in hot water along with salt for 2-3 hours.
3. In a medium pot combine the chicken, onion, oil, chicken broth, bay leaf, ginger piece, soya sauce, garlic cloves, lemon pepper, cardamom powder, turmeric powder, salt, ground saffron and water.
4. Stir and turn the heat to medium high, cover with cracked lid and cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. In a small skillet combine barberry, water, butter, sugar, ground saffron, rose water and grape seed oil.
6. Cook the barberry on medium high for 10 minutes, let the water reduce completely.
7. In the meantime drain the soaked rice, do not rinse.
8. In a large pot pour 8 cups of water and bring it to a boil add 1 tablespoon of oil and add the soaked rice and cook for 6 minutes.
9. Once done remove and drain the water, rinse with hot water.
10. In a large pot pour ½ cup of water add 2 tablespoon of oil, mix them well and then add the rice.
11. Make a couple of holes in it, then cover with the lid and cook for 10 minute.
12. At this point preheat the oven to 300 degree.
13. After 10 minutes, release the steam from rice pot, cover with a waxed paper and put back the lid.
14. Place the pot in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
15. After the chicken has cooked for 1 hour and 20 minutes, break the chicken into serving size pieces, lower the heat and cook for another 20 minutes with a cracked lid.
16. Fluff the rice, then layer and mix the rice in a dish with the barberries.
17. Serve the barberry rice with the chicken immediately.