Oriental Beef with Pineapple
Lean Round Steak - 1 1/2 pounds, about 1/2-inch thick
Dry Sherry - 1/4 cup
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce - 3 tablespoons
Cornstarch - 1 tablespoon
Firmly-Packed Brown Sugar - 1 tablespoon
Crushed Red Pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
Vegetable Cooking Spray
Vegetable Oil - 1 tablespoon
Large, Sweet Red Pepper - 1 no, seeded, thin strips
Green Onions with Tops - 4 nos, 1-inch pieces
Fresh Ginger Root - 1 tablespoon
1) Remove the skin off the pineapple along with the eyes. Take the core out carefully.
2) Slice the pineapple into cubes of 1-inch size.
3) Remove any extra fat from the steak. Place in the refrigerator to freeze the steak partially.
4) Take the steak out from the freezer and slice it into 3 1/4-inch strips, along the grain.
5) In a bowl, mix the sherry, soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar, red pepper. Mix well. Add in the beef strips into the mixture and toss them around gently.
6) Cover the bowl and let it marinate for about 20 minutes.
7) After 20 minutes, drain the beef strips. Keep the marinade aside.
8) Take a wok and spray with cooking spray. Add oil and heat for about 2 minutes or until it reads a temperature of 325F.
9) Add in the beef strip. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes or until they lose the pink colour.
10) Take the meat off the wok. Keep aside.
11) In the same wok, toss in the red peppers, onions and ginger root. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Mix in the beef strips, the reserved marinade and pineapple cubes.
12) Keep cooking till the mixture has thickened slightly.
13) Serve the Oriental Beef with Pineapple with a garnish of finely chopped parsley.