Buche De Noel
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cocoa||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|For rum cream filling:|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||1 Tablespoon|
|Boiling water||2 Tablespoon|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Powdered sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rum/Rum extract||2 Teaspoon|
|For chocolate frosting:|
|Unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon, softened|
|Cocoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Powdered sugar||2 2⁄3 Cup (42.67 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
2) With foil, line a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan.
2) With an electric beater on medium speed, beat the egg yolks for 2 minutes.
3) Add ½ cup of sugar very gradually and continue to beat for another 2 minutes.
4) Combine together the flour, remaining sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add to the mixture, alternately with water, beating at low speed till the batter is smooth.
5) Add the vanilla and set the mixture aside.
6) Beat the egg whites till they are foamy and then add 1tablespoon of sugar. Beat till the eggs start to form stiff peaks.
7) Gently fold the eggs into the chocolate mixture.
8) Spread the concoction evenly in the prepared pan.
9) Bake in the preheated oven for 14 to 16 minutes, till the top springs right back when lightly touched.
10) To make the Rum Cream Filling, over cold water, sprinkle the gelatin in a medium bowl. Let it stand to soften.
11) Add boiling water and stir well till the gelatin has dissolved.
12) Beat the cream and powdered sugar together till the mixture forms stiff peaks, and then blend in the rum.
13) Add the gelatin mixture gradually, beating well till blended. Chill the preparation for 10 to 15 minutes, till it starts to set.
14) To make the Chocolate Frosting, in a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the help of an electric mixer.
15) Add the cocoa and blend thoroughly. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk gradually and alternately. Beat till a spreading consistency has been achieved.
16) Onto a smooth towel that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar, invert the baked cake and remove the foil carefully.
17) Starting from the narrow end, immediately roll the cake in the towel. Place it on a rack to cool completely.
18) Unroll the cake and remove the towel.
19) Spread with the Rum Cream Filling, roll once again and place on a decorative cake plate.
20) Use Chocolate Frosting to frost the cake. Use a fork or spatula to create a bar-like texture.
21) Use holly leaves and candied cherries to garnish, if preferred.
22) Cover the cake and place in the fridge till it is time to serve.
23) Serve the cake as dessert while it is still slightly chilled.