An Oriental Feast
|For the noodles|
|Cellophane noodles||3 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Packet)|
|Medium mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound|
|Snow peas||1⁄8 Pound|
|Chinese cabbage||1 Small|
|Shelled raw shrimp||1⁄2 Pound|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bamboo shoots||1 Can (10 oz)|
|White vinegar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Hot red pepper sauce||6 Drop|
|Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
|For the pineapple:|
|Almonds||1 Tablespoon, slivered (Unblanched)|
1) In a small saucepan, add in the noodles and hot water. Keep aside.
2) In a mixer add the whites of two eggs.
3) Rinse the vegetables. Slice the mushrooms, chop the scallions, break the stems off the snow peas and slice the cabbage thin to get 2 cups of shreds. Peel the carrots and slice thin.
4) Wash the shrimp and slice them in half. Devein the shrimps and add in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Toss well.
5) Preheat the oven to 325F.
6) In a medium saucepan, add chicken broth and 1 cup water. Stir and keep aside 1/4 cup. Let the mixture in the saucepan come to a boil over low heat.
7) Wash the pineapple and slice it into half across the frond. Keep one half in the fridge for later use. Take the other half and knife out the inside. Throw away the core. Slice the pineapple into 1/4-inch cubes.
8) Slice the bamboo shoots into slivers to make 1/4 cup. Add in bamboo shoots, 1/4 cup mushroom, 1 tablespoon scallion, carrot, 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce, white vinegar and hot pepper sauce. Add this into the simmering chicken broth.
9) Using a fork, separate the noodles. Bring the saucepan to boil. Drain immediately. Toss the noodles along with 1 teaspoon soy sauce.
10) Add in the two egg yolks into the remaining egg and beat together. Slowly, add the egg mixture into the noodles. Stir to make strands from the egg mixture.
11) Drain the shrimp. Add in the drippings into the 1/4 cup reserved broth.
12) On a medium skillet, heat oil. Stir fry the shrimps for 1 minute. Add in the reserved mushrooms, cabbage and snow peas. Stir fry for 2 more minutes till it thickens.
13) Plate the noodles and spoon the shrimp mixture over it. Garnish with scallion.
14) Add in the cornstarch into the reserved broth. Mix and add into the shrimps.
14) Beat the egg whites and sugar to form stiff peaks. Spoon it over the reserved pineapple. Sprinkle the almond slivers on top.Place the pineapple on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or till it turns golden.
14) Serve the baked pineapple alongside the noodles to complete the Oriental Feast.