|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Light olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Dried red chile||1 , seeded and finely chopped|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Cardamom pods||2 , seeds removed and crushed|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Saffron threads||1⁄2 Teaspoon, firmly packed|
|Canned low-sodium chicken broth/Warm chicken stock||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), rinsed well|
|Dried currants||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole dried apricots||10 Small, quartered|
|Blanched sliced almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pine nuts||2 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted shelled pistachio nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh coriander leaves||3 Tablespoon, torn|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°.
2) In a large flameproof casserole, add butter and olive oil over low heat.
3) SautÃ© onion and garlic for 5 minutes, until softened but not browned.
4) Increase the heat to moderate and add the chile, cumin seeds, cardamom and ginger.
5) SautÃ© the spices for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
6) Add the saffron and pour in chicken stock, mix well and remove from the heat.
7) Cover and let the saffron permeate the stock for 5 minutes.
8) Place the pan over moderate heat and bring to a simmer.
9) Stir in the rice, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, currants, apricots and the salt.
10) Return to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 17 minutes. If the rice is still too wet, cook longer.
11) In a baking sheet, place the almonds and pine nuts. Place inside oven to toast for about 4 minutes, until golden. Add the pistachios and toast for 1 more minute.
12) In a plate transfer the toasted nuts to cook.
13) With a fork, fluff up the rice.
14) Season with additional salt and black pepper to taste.
15) Add the nuts and toss.
16) Transfer the rice on warm serving plate, garnish with coriander, before serving.