Classic Soy Sauce Calamari With Sauteed Onions
|Squid||1 1⁄2 Pound (4 large size, 700 gram)|
|Red onions||4 Large|
|Red chilli||1 Large|
|Light olive oil||3⁄4 Tablespoon (1 dessertspoon)|
|Brown sugar/Plain sugar||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Dark soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|White pepper||To Taste|
|Sherry||3⁄4 Tablespoon (1 dessertspoon)|
1) Rinse the squid well and clean it by discarding the inner bones, eyes and guts.
2) Shape into rings or small rectangles scored a little more on one side by cutting using a knife for an appealing curl when cooked.
3) Remove the peel and cut onions into half rings.
4) Cut the red chilli into thin juliennes.
5) Heat the oil and fry the onions briefly by turning frequently with half the sugar.
6) When onions are nearly cooked through, add squid bodies in the beginning, then the tentacles half a minute later.
7) Now add soy sauce, water, chilli and pepper.
8) Use sherry,in case the squid isn't completely fresh.
9) Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
10) Serve hot at once.
Calories 313 Calories from Fat 46
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8%
Saturated Fat 1 g5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 396.3 mg132.1%
Sodium 665.6 mg27.7%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.6%
Sugars 22 g
Protein 30 g59.1%
Vitamin A 3.3% Vitamin C 68.7%
Calcium 11.3% Iron 7.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet