Singaporean Chicken Rice
|Ginger piece||1 Large|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm)|
|Chinese cabbage||1 Large (Chinese leaf)|
|Chicken stock cubes||1⁄2|
|Fragrant thai rice||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Light soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||3⁄4 Tablespoon (1 dessertspoon)|
|Spring onions||1 Tablespoon|
1) Thoroughly wash the chicken and pandan leaves.
2) Peel and mash ginger and cloves of garlic, still keeping them reasonably intact.
3) Chop Chinese cabbage fine and thinly slice cucumber into bite-sized pieces.
4) Fill 1 large stockpot with water and boil it.
5) Into the stockpot of boiling water, add ginger and 3 garlic cloves.
6) Put chicken into same pot, make sure water covers entire bird.
7) Allow to cook on high heat and reduce to slow boil, then cover and turn off heat, allowing pot to remain on the hob.
8) Allow to remain for 1 hour or so until chicken is poached through.
9) Take out the chicken and retain the stock.
10) Meanwhile, add chicken stock cubes to hot water and make 1 litre/34 oz of stock.
11) Wash rice and put in rice cooker with 2 cm/0.8 inch of stock covering rice.
12) Now add bruised garlic, ginger and pandan leaves (tie them in a knot).
13) Cook according to instructions until rice is well-cooked and dry which will take about 25 minutes.
14) As the rice is cooking, add Chinese cabbage to retained chicken stock and allow to boil.
15) Chop chicken using a cleaver into bite-sized pieces.
16) Place these pieces on a serving dish or individual plates along with cucumbers.
17) Toss soy sauce and sesame oil and ladle over chicken.
18) Scatter on top with coriander and spring onions.
19) Soup with Chinese cabbage is ready to be served.
Calories 720 Calories from Fat 320
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g54.7%
Saturated Fat 8.2 g41.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 167.5 mg55.8%
Sodium 751.2 mg31.3%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.6%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.3%
Sugars 3.2 g
Protein 57 g114%
Vitamin A 134.2% Vitamin C 111.3%
Calcium 19.3% Iron 18.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet