Singapore Noodle Salad
|Sesame seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chinese noodles||1⁄2 Pound (Dried, Spaghetti Style)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Broccoli||1 Bunch (100 gm), separated into 1 inch florets|
|Asparagus||1 Pound, preferably pencil thin, tough ends snapped off, cut on the diagonal into 1 inch pieces|
|Chicken broth/Canned broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Peanut butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon (Preferably Dark)|
|Oriental sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry||1 Tablespoon|
|Chinese chili sauce||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Minced scallions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely minced fresh ginger||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic clove||1 Large, minced|
|Bean sprouts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Thinly sliced mushrooms/Separated enoki mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Button / Shiitake Variety)|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large, cut into thin julienne strips|
|Minced chives||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a small dry skillet, toast the sesame seeds over moderately high heat, tossing, until fragrant and golden brown, about 1 minute. Set aside.
2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the noodles, separating them with a fork, until tender but still firm, about 2 1/2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water, drain well and toss with the vegetable oil.
3. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the broccoli and cook until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water and chill until cold, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the asparagus, cooking for only 1 to 2 minutes.
4. In a small saucepan, bring the stock to a boil over moderately high heat; remove from the heat. Stir in the peanut butter, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sherry, sugar, chili sauce, scallions, ginger, garlic and toasted sesame seeds.
5. In a large bowl, toss together the noodles, broccoli, asparagus, bean sprouts, mushrooms and red pepper. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle the chives over the top just before serving.
Calories 714 Calories from Fat 416
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g75.5%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 951.5 mg39.6%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.3%
Dietary Fiber 9.7 g38.9%
Sugars 10.4 g
Protein 19 g37.4%
Vitamin A 48.1% Vitamin C 131.3%
Calcium 16.6% Iron 44.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet