Korean Barbecued Steak with Sticky Rice and Kimchi
|For the marinade:|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Tamari sauce/Soy sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Unseasoned rice vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Dark sesame oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Minced ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Hot chili paste/Lingham 's sauce||1 Tablespoon (Such As Sambal Sekera)|
|For the beef:|
|Top sirloin||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1/2 inch slices about 3 inches long|
|Cooked sticky rice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Needed)|
|For the garnish:|
|Kim chee||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bean sprouts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pickled ginger||2 Tablespoon|
|Lettuce leaves||16 Large|
1. In a dry skillet, toast sesame seed over medium-high heat for about 45 seconds to 1 minute until golden brown and shiny; toss continuously.
2. In a mixing bowl, place 1 tablespoon and reserve the rest.
3. To the bowl, put together rest of the marinade ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
4. Stir in the sirloin slices in the marinade and let it sit at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours or in the refrigerator overnight (if refrigerating, bring to room temperature before cooking).
5. Prepare the grill.
6. Soak 20 to 24 wooden skewers in water to prevent them from burning up on the grill.
7. Remove the sirloin strips from the marinade.
8. On each skewer, thread a slice of meat and pull them down so they lie flat.
9. Grease the grill lightly with a little sesame oil.
10. On the hot, greased grill, place the skewers and grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side so they are cooked on the outside but still rare or medium-rare inside.
11. Over a bed of hot rice, serve 1 steak over the top.
12. Sprinkle the reserved toasted sesame seeds over the skewers.
13. In small bowls, serve the garnishing ingredients along with the lettuce leaf.
14. Add small amount of everything in the lettuce leaf, roll up and eat,