Turkish Vegetable Kebabs With Spicy Garbanzo Bean Sauce
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Garbanzo beans||15 Ounce, drained, rinsed (1 Can)|
|Natural yogurt||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||To Taste|
|Eggplant||1 , diced into 1-inch cubes and soaked in salted water|
|Red bell pepper||1 , cored, deseeded and diced into 1-inch pieces|
|Green bell pepper||1 , cored, deseeded and diced into 1-inch pieces|
|Plum tomatoes||4 Small, cut into quarters|
|Lemon||1 , cut into wedges|
|Bay leaves||8 Small|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon (For Brushing)|
1. In a small heavy skillet, heat the olive oil
2. Add the garlic and onion and sautÃ© for about 5 minutes until limp and golden brown.
3. Take pan off the heat and let cool slightly.
4. To prepare the sauce, in a food processor or liquidizer jar, combine the garbanzo beans and yogurt.
5. Blend until coarsely pureed.
6. Add the onion mixture along with spices, seasonings and lemon juice.
7. Bend for about 15 seconds until smooth. Alternatively, in absence of food processor, mash the garbanzo beans through a sieve and blend in the remaining ingredients.
8. Turn the mixture into a bowl.
9. Cover and refirgerate until ready to serve.
10. To prepare the kebabs, thread the vegetable cubes onto the skewers.
11. Skewer a bay leaf and lemon wedge at both ends of each kebab. Keep aside until ready to cook
12. Drizzle kabobs with olive oil.
13. Arrange them over the barbecue, and grill them 5-8 minutes, turning frequently until evenly basted.
14. Heat the garbanzo bean sauce on one side of the barbecue or on the stove.
15. Serve the kebabs immediately accompanied with the warm sauce on the side.