|Basmati rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cleaned (rinsed)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Half and half/Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rose water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the garnish|
|Green raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Optional)|
|Dried apricots||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Optional)|
|Cinnamon||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Toasted almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Optional)|
|Jam||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
1. In a large pot combine rice, water and salt, on medium high heat bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium low and cook the rice for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked with a covered lid, stir occasionally.
2. Once the rice is cooked, pour the milk and half and half, stir well, on medium high heat bring the milk to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot and cook for 55 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes add the sugar and stir well, put the lid and continue to cook for the remaining cook time.
4. After 55 minutes stir and add the cardamom, rose water, stir and cook for 10 minutes.
5. After 10 minutes, turn off the heat and let the rice pudding chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
6. In three serving cups, put large spoonful of the rice pudding in each.
7. First serving cup, garnish with green raisins, apricots and sprinkle pinch of cinnamon.
8. Second serving cup, garnish with toasted almonds and top it with jam of your choice.
9. For the third, garnish with jam of your choice.
10. Serve the Shir Berenj chill after a hearty meal.
Calories 458 Calories from Fat 118
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.2%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g28.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 28.1 mg9.4%
Sodium 208.4 mg8.7%
Total Carbohydrates 78 g25.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.3%
Sugars 51.5 g
Protein 10 g20.8%
Vitamin A 11.5% Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 25.6% Iron 5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet