Lalli's Turkish Pilaf Tomatoes
|Ripe tomatoes||72 Ounce (6 Large Ones, About 12 Ounces Each)|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Dried cherries||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Golden raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Dried apricots||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Boiling)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped, blanched|
|Rice||3 Cup (48 tbs), cooked (About 3/4 Cup Raw, Brown Or White)|
|Apricot preserves||2 Tablespoon|
|Orange juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground (Plus More For Sprinkling)|
|Allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Fresh mint leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Mint sprig||6 (For Garnish)|
1. Cut a small slice from the tops of the tomatoes.
2. With the help of a teaspoon, scoop out the pulp; leave the 1/2-inch-thick wall.
3. Chop the pulp coarsely and reserve ½ cup.
4. Discard seeds; as much as possible.
5. Season inside tomato with coarse salt.
6. On a paper towel, place the tomatoes with the cut side down for 30 minutes to drain water.
7. In a bowl, place dry fruits and pour enough boiling water to cover.
8. Let them soak for 30 minutes and drain well.
9. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
10. In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat.
11. Stir in the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until wilted.
12. Add nuts.
13. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
14. Remove the saucepan from heat.
15. Pour 1/2 cup reserved tomato pulp, drained fruit, cooked rice, preserves, orange juice, honey, spices, chopped mint, and coarse salt to taste to the nut mixture; stir well.
16. In a shallow baking dish, large enough to hold the tomatoes grease the bottom lightly.
17. Stuff with 1/2 cup of the rice mixture into each tomato shell.
18. Place in the pre-pared oven.
19. Lightly sprinkle the tomatoes with cinnamon.
20. Bake for about 20 minutes until the tomatoes are just tender and heated through.
21. Garnish with mint sprigs.
22. Serve hot or at room temperature.