|Lean ground beef/Lamb||1 Pound|
|Bulgur wheat||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely crushed|
|Walnuts/Pine nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Onion||1 Small, minced / grated|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Plain low fat yogurt||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. To prepare the crushed wheat rinse, drain and let it stand for 10 minutes.
3. In a skillet, brown the nuts with a small amount of oil or margarine.
4. With the ground meat, onion, salt, pepper and cinnamon mix the wheat well, adding 1/2 cup of water as you mix.
5. In a flat layer in the bottom of an oiled cake pan (8 x 8 inch or 8 x 10 inch) pat half the meat mixture, sprinkle the toasted nuts over the meat layer and pat out the remaining meat mixture over the nuts.
6. Retain the mixture in the pan and cut into squares or diamond-shaped pieces.
7. With margarine, dot over the cut pieces and bake for about 30 minutes.
8. Serve hot with the desired garnish.
Calories 448 Calories from Fat 157
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.6%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g26.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 70.1 mg23.4%
Sodium 865.2 mg36%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.3%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g34.7%
Sugars 7.6 g
Protein 34 g67%
Vitamin A 3.7% Vitamin C 5.3%
Calcium 19.6% Iron 19.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet