|For the meatballs|
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Large (rinsed in cold water)|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Teaspoon, mince (Optional)|
|Ginger slice||1 Medium (Optional)|
|Koobideh seasoning||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|For the khoresht|
|Onion||1 Medium, dice|
|Walnuts||2 Cup (32 tbs), chop|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Pomegranate molasses||7 Tablespoon|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Grape seed oil||3 Tablespoon|
1. Mince the garlic, dice the onions and keep it aside in a bowl
2. In a food processor chop the walnuts, and once it’s finely ground transfer it in a bowl.
3. Add the onions, garlic and ginger in the food processor and process until you get a paste like consistency.
4. In a medium size bowl combine, beef, onion mixture and the kosher salt, turmeric, black pepper and koobideh seasoning.
5. Mix all the ingredients well; the meatball mixture should be very pliable.
6. One done, make small meatballs and place it in a plate.
7. In a large pan arrange the meatballs and brown the meatballs for 3-4 minutes on medium.
8. In another pan on medium heat, sauté the onions in grape seed oil until they begin to brown.
9. Once the meatballs are done turn of the heat and let it rest.
10. Once the onions have browned add the turmeric and stir, add the meatballs along with the juice.
11. Stir gently until all the meatballs is coated with the onions and turmeric, add the ground walnuts, salt, pepper, stir well.
12. Add the water and stir everything, turn the heat to medium high and cover with a cracked lid and boil for 30 minutes, stir frequently.
13. After 30 minutes turn the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes with a cracked lid.
14. After 20 minutes add 7 tablespoon of pomegranate molasses, stir and taste it and adjust the sweetness, add the sugar and turn the heat down to medium low.
15. Cover the pan and cook for 1-3 hours, stir after one and half hour.
16. During the last 15 minutes, preheat the oven at 200 degree oven.
17. Place the pan in the oven so that it remains hot until serving time.
18. Serve the khoresht fesenjan along with steamed white rice.
You can cook the meatballs for further 1 and half hour if you like, so in total 3 hours should be fine.
Ensure you use 100 % pure pomegranate molasses.