|Lean lamb||1 Pound (50 Gram)|
|Red onion||1 , cut into wedges|
|Green bell pepper||1 , deseeded|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , juiced|
|Grated lemon rind||1⁄2|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||2 , sliced|
|Crisp lettuce leaves||5 , shredded|
1. Cut the lamb into large, evenly-sized chunks.
2. To make the marinade, grate the onion or chop it very finely in a food processor. Remove the juice by squeezing the onion between two plates set over a small bowl.
3. Combine the onion juice with the remaining marinade ingredients in a non-metallic dish and add the meat. Toss the meat in the marinade, cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. Divide the onion wedges into 2. Cut the (bell) peppers into chunks.
5. Remove the meat from the marinade, reserving the liquid for basting. Thread the meat on to skewers, alternating with the onion and (bell) peppers. Barbecue (grill) for 8-10 minutes, turning and basting frequently.
6. Split open the pitta breads and fill with a little lettuce, and the meat and vegetables. Top with tomatoes and chilli sauce.