|Basmati rice||8 Ounce, rinsed (250 Gram)|
|Sunflower oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Large, thinly sliced|
|Carrots||2 Large, diced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Grated ginger root||2 Teaspoon|
|Sweet potato||8 Ounce, diced (250 Gram)|
|Curry paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground turmeric||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Ripe tomatoes||4 , skinned, deseeded and diced|
|Cauliflower florets||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Green peas||4 Ounce, thawed if frozen (125 Gram)|
|Cashew nuts||2 Ounce, toasted (50 Gram)|
|Chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon|
|Hard boiled eggs||2 , quartered (To Serve)|
1) To a large saucepan of boiling salted water, add the Basmati rice, reduce the heat and bring the water back to a simmer. Cook the rice for about 5 minutes and drain. Refresh it under cold running water and drain thoroughly again. On a large baking sheet, spread the rice and keep aside to dry.
2) In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and fry half of the onion slices for about 10 minutes, till they are golden brown and very crisp. Take the onions out of the pa and drain them on kitchen paper. Keep the onions aside for garnishing.
3) To the pan, add the remaining oil and fry the remaining onion along with the carrots, garlic and grated ginger for about 5 minutes. Add the sweet potato and spices and fry for another 10 minutes, till light golden.
4) Add the vegetable stock and diced tomatoes to the pan and bring the entire concoction to a boil. Cover the pan and gently cook over low flame for about 20 minutes. Add the peas and cauliflower and continue cooking for another 10 minutes, till all the vegetables are soft.
5) Add the cashew nuts and freshly chopped coriander along with the rice and continue to cook, constantly stirring, for about 3 minutes. Cover the pan and take it off the heat. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
6) Serve hot after garnishing with the crisped onion slices. Serve egg quarters on the side.
Calories 743 Calories from Fat 293
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g51.6%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g27%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 120.9 mg40.3%
Sodium 381.4 mg15.9%
Total Carbohydrates 97 g32.2%
Dietary Fiber 13 g51.9%
Sugars 18.6 g
Protein 17 g34.7%
Vitamin A 327.1% Vitamin C 110.2%
Calcium 16.4% Iron 25.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet