Sweet and Sour Nuggets
|Vegetable margarine||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Shallot||1 , peeled and finely chopped|
|Plain flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Ground almonds||2 Ounce (55 Gram)|
|Water chestnuts||2 Ounce, finely chopped (55 Gram)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Dry breadcrumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Coating)|
|Sesame seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Coating)|
|Groundnut oil||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon, For Frying)|
|Soft brown sugar||2 Ounce (55 Gram)|
|Vinegar||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Tomato ketchup||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Soy sauce||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Canned pineapple chunks||8 Ounce (225 Gram, 1 Can)|
|Cornflour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Green pepper||1 , seeded and sliced|
|Onions spring||2 , trimmed and cut into thin diagonal slices|
|Canned bamboo shoots||3⁄4 Can (7.5 oz), drained (1 Small Can)|
|Bean sprouts||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
1. Take a big bowl, add margarine and keep in the microwave oven on high for 1 minute to melt it.
2. Mix shallots, stir thoroughly and cook on high for 30 seconds to soften shallots.
3. Add flour and using a wooden spoon, blend well. Add milk slowly, each ½ minute, and beat till the sauce becomes smooth and thick.
4. Add water chestnuts, almonds, ginger, parsley, half portion of beaten egg and seasoning to shallot sauce and blend well to form a stiff paste.
5. Take a dish, transfer the almond paste into it and refrigerate till the mixture becomes firm.
6. Using the mixture, prepare 16 almond nugget balls of the same size.
7. Take a dish, add sesame seeds and breadcrumbs and mix well.
8. Dip each almond nugget in the rest of the beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs-sesame seeds mixture.
9. Take a browning dish, heat for about 5 minutes on microwave on high.
10. Add oil and fry the nuggets for about 3 to 4 minutes till they become evenly brown. Transfer to absorbent kitchen paper to drain excess water.
11. Take a deep bowl or jug, add vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and ketchup and mix well. Drain pineapple juice and add to the mixture. Cut pineapple chunks into small pieces and keep aside. Add corn flour to the sauce mixture and whisk till smooth. Cook, keeping temperature on high, for about 2 to 3 minutes.
12. Add bamboo shoots, onions and peppers, pineapple pieces, mix thoroughly and heat for about 1 minute.
13. Take a serving dish, spread bean sprouts, top with nuggets and heat for 1 minute.
14. Top with sauce and serve hot.
Calories 565 Calories from Fat 291
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g51.1%
Saturated Fat 5.8 g28.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 55.9 mg18.6%
Sodium 740.7 mg30.9%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.7%
Sugars 28.6 g
Protein 11 g21.8%
Vitamin A 15.1% Vitamin C 69.1%
Calcium 23.6% Iron 24.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet