Korean Fried Chicken (양념 통닭)
|Milk||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Ginger powder||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|For the batter:|
|Potato starch/Corn starch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flour/Frying mix||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Korean curry powder||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||2 Pinch|
|For the sauce:|
|Ketchup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red pepper paste||3 Tablespoon|
|Corn syrup||2 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Minced onion||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Water/Cooking wine||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Cooking oil||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
1. Take a bowl and marinate the chicken pieces with milk, salt, black pepper and ginger powder. You can also add minced garlic and water or cooking wine (optional) alternatively if you do not want to use milk as a marinate then use the rest of the ingredients minus the milk.
2. To make the coating for the chicken, mix the potato starch or corn starch, frying mix or flour, Korean curry powder, salt and pepper in a big plastic bag. Shake the bag to mix everything together.
3. Put the marinated pieces into the powder in the bag and shake the bag so that all the chicken pieces will be evenly covered with the bag. Take out the coated chicken pieces from the bag and set them aside while the oil is heating. Save the left over powder for later.
4. After a few minutes you will notice that the coating on the chicken has become soggy. Once again coat each chicken piece with the left over flour before frying them.
5.Take a deep frying pan and add cooking oil and heat it on high. Once the oil is heated, carefully put each of the chicken pieces into the oil. Fry the chicken on a high heat for 10 minutes until the pieces become light brown in color. Take out the pieces, drain the oil and set the pieces on a kitchen towel. (The chicken pieces will be fried again)
6. Meanwhile in a pan add all the sauce ingredients except the sesame seeds. Heat the pan, once the sauce starts to bubble cook it for 1 more minute. And turn off the heat.
7. For the second frying, fry the chicken in hot oil again for about 5 - 10 minutes until they turn golden brown in color. This time make sure that the chicken pieces are completely cooked.
8. Add the fried chicken pieces to the sauce mixture and mix well till all the pieces are covered with the sauce. Lastly sprinkle sesame seeds on top and mix.
9. Serve with pickled salad or sweet corn radish.
The sauce recipe is enough to be used only for half of the chicken pieces.
If you want to season all the chicken pieces in the sauce, double the ingredients for the sauce recipe.