Sweet Sour Pot Roast
|Pot roast||5 Pound|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1. In a large Dutch oven or casserole, heat the shortening.
2. When the fat is hot, sear the pot roast on all sides.
3. Remove the roast onto a platter.
4. Add onions to the fat in the casserole and sauté till they are lightly browned and soft.
5. Return the roast to the casserole.
6. Add the vinegar, sugar, nutmeg and salt.
7. Cover the skillet and reduce the flame to low.
8. Simmer meat for 3 – 3 1/2 hours until meat is tender.
9. Remove meat onto a serving platter.
10. To thicken the broth, add 1 ½ tablespoons of flour and simmer, stirring constantly until thick
11. Pour the sauce over the roast.
12. Carve the meat at the table using a steak knife.
13. Serve with roast vegetables and mash if you like.