1. Make a slit in the onions from top to bottom all the way to the middle of the pulp without cutting the onion in half.
2. Boil the onions for ten minutes to soften them up.
3. Separate the onions layers carefully so they do not get torn.
4. In a large bowl, add in the short grain rice, onion, parsley, salt, black pepper, allspice, dry mint, olive oil and tomatoes. Mix well all the ingredients.
5. Fill each layer of onion with the rice stuffing and wrap well so the rice is contained inside.
6. In the pot, make layers of the stuffed vegetables and stuffed grape leaves.
7. Add diced tomatoes and olive oil on top. Cover the pan with a plate.
8. Cook on high heat for a few minutes, lower the heat and let cook for 1.5 - 2 hours until all the liquid in the pot is absorbed.
Rice stuffed onions is an exotic dish inspired by the middle eastern stuffed wine leaves recipe. It looks great and tastes divine with it's exquisite taste of spices and the unique cooking method which does not allow any flavor or aroma to move out. Watch the video for detailed recipe.