Make vegetables taste even better by adding a little Italian sausage! In this video, National Hot Dog & Sausage Council President Janet Riley adds a little color and vegetables to your tailgate with these kebabs and delicious mustard sauce. This video series includes hot dog and sausage recipes that you can cook entirely or partially ahead of time for your tailgate menu.
Bratwurst sausages/Italian sausage
Red bell pepper
1 Large, washed, seeded and cut into 1 inch square
Cherry tomatoes/Grape tomatoes
12 , washed
1 Small, washed and cut into 3/4 inch slices
White wine vinegar
Coarsely ground black pepper
1. Preheat the grill with medium heat coals or preheat the broiler.
2. Soak the wooden skewer in water for 30 minutes.
3. Cut the sausages, in about 1 inch pieces.
4. In a small bowl, mix together vinegar, olive oil, mustard, and a pinch of pepper.
5. Thread each skewer, alternately sausage and vegetable chunks, beginning and ending with red pepper cubes, leaving some space between each piece.
6. Brush the mustard mixture over the sausage and vegetables.
7. Grill or broil the kebabs on an oiled rack, for about 18 to 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of sausages reaches 160 F and turn the skewers every 5 minutes.