|Angel food cake mix||1 Pound (1 Box)|
|Egg whites||4 Large|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Low fat neapolitan flavored ice cream scoops||6 , well frozen|
AHEAD OF TIME
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 15x10x1 -inch jelly-roll pans with parchment paper or foil. Set aside. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into each prepared pan, spreading evenly.
2. Bake one pan at a time on middle oven rack for 12 to 14 minutes, until top of cake is crusty and dry. Loosen edges with spatula and immediately invert cakes onto wire racks. Cool. Freeze one cake for other desserts, such as sundaes with frozen yogurt and fresh fruit.
3. Using biscuit cutter or kitchen shears, cut out 6 circles, about 3 1/2 inches in diameter, from the one cake. Remove scraps.
4. In deep, narrow-based bowl, bring egg whites to room temperature. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Continue beating while adding sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Set meringue aside.
JUST BEFORE SERVING
5. Preheat oven to 500°. Assemble Alaskas: Center frozen scoop of ice cream on each angel-food cake base. There should be 1/2 inch of cake border around base of ice cream.
6. Spoon meringue over each portion of ice cream, dividing evenly. Working quickly, use spatula to completely enclose ice cream with meringue. Be careful to seal all edges. Meringue should be about 1/2 inch thick to meet with edge of cake. Swirl peaks on top. LIse wide spatula to carefully lift and place Alaskas a few inches apart on large baking sheet.
7. Bake 3 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Garnish with strawberries, if desired. Serve immediately.