|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onions||1 Medium, sliced|
|Tomato||1 Medium, chopped|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Green beans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into 1"pieces|
|Carrot||1 Medium, cut into 1/4 "cubes|
|Boiled potatoes||1 , cut into small cubes|
|Peppers||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut into small pieces (green, red,yellow)|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Paneer cubes||100 Gram (for garnish)|
1. Par boil rice and keep aside.
2. Take oil/ghee in a large kadhai or stock pot, add cashew nuts, cinnamon stick and cardamom. When cashew nuts turn golden, remove and keep separately.
3. In the same oil, saute onions, add ginger-garlic paste and then tomatoes. Fry till you get a deep red thick paste. Add all the other vegetables(potatoes, green beans,peppers,carrots or any other veggies you prefer) and lightly saute.
4. Add chopped green chili, garam masala, turmeric pwd, red-chili pwd, coriander pwd and mix well.
5. You can add either yogurt(2tbsp) or water(1/2 cup) to this gravy. Let it come to a boil.
6. Add salt(1/2 tbsp should be good)
7. Remove this gravy leaving very little inside the kadhai. Add a layer of rice. Pour some gravy and then add another layer of rice. Repeat this process. Cover the kadhai, and let it cook on low flame for 5min.
8. Mix the biryani well before serving so that all the gravy is absorbed in rice. Garnish with cashew nuts, mint sprig and sauteed paneer cubes or fried sliced onions.(optional).
Tip: For added taste sprinkle saffron soaked in milk between layers.
Calories 701 Calories from Fat 172
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.6%
Saturated Fat 3.3 g16.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3.5 mg1.2%
Sodium 409.6 mg17.1%
Total Carbohydrates 117 g39.1%
Dietary Fiber 14.2 g56.9%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 19 g37.1%
Vitamin A 61.4% Vitamin C 49.5%
Calcium 26% Iron 75.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet