Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots And Chicken Noodle Soup - Part 7 - Boiling
|Dried bamboo shoots||3 Ounce, soaked|
|Wood ear mushrooms||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), soaked|
|Dried shiitake mushrooms||4 Large, soaked|
|Rock sugar||5 Gram|
|Chicken leg quarters||4|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Shallots||5 Small, slice|
|Fish sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Scallions||8 Small, chop|
|Dried rice noodles||40 Gram|
|Serrano chili pepper||1 Large, slice|
1. Soak the bamboo shoots in water for 6 hours or overnight.
2. After 6 hours, rinse and place it in a pot with 2-3 inches water covering the bamboo shoots.
3. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the flame and let it simmer for 1 hour.
4. Once done rinse the water and repeat the same steps as earlier and cook the bamboo shoots for another 1 hour.
5. Finally rinse the water and allow the bamboo shoots to cool.
6. Using a scissor cut the bamboo shoots into approximately 2” and 1/2” wide and put them in a bowl. Discard the pieces that are tough.
7. Soak the Shiitake mushrooms in warm water for at least 30 minutes or until fully reconstituted.
8. Soak the Wood Ear mushrooms in warm water for approximately 30 minutes.
9. Using a large kitchen knife cut the elbow and ribs of the chicken, sprinkle kosher salt over the chicken and set aside.
10. Slice the shallots and Serrano peppers, cut the scallions into 5 inch pieces, set aside.
11. In a large soup pot pour oil and sauté the shallots, until translucent.
12. Move the shallots to a side of the pot and add the chicken pieces, skin side down.
13. Cook the chicken for couple of minutes on each side, brown the chicken on all sides.
14. Once the chicken is browned, add the fish sauce and cook it for a minute or until it thickens.
15. Add the water. Turn the heat up and bring it to a boil.
16. In the meantime, take the Shiitake mushrooms out of the water. Cut off the stem and quarter it. Set the mushrooms aside.
17. Occasionally skim off the foam or fat from the surface of the broth, once the broth comes to good boil add the rock sugar and bamboo shoots.
18. Stir and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour or until the chicken is actually cooked.
19. After an hour add the wood ear mushrooms, shitake mushrooms and scallions to the broth, cook it on soft boil for 10 minutes.
20. In another pan boil water and add the rice noodles and cool until it’s done, once done drain the water, set aside.
21. In a medium size soup bowl add some rice noodles, place one chicken piece on top, sppon some mushrooms, scallion and finally pour the broth.
22. Garnish it with Serrano pepper to add little spice to it.
23. Serve the vietnamese bamboo shoots and chicken noodle soup hot.
For the complete recipe watch the remaining video in parts, links provided below.
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 1
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 2
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 3
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 4
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 5
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 6
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 7
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 8
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 9
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 10
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 11
Vietnamese Bamboo Shoots Part 12
Large soup pot
Kitchen knife and scissors