Sweet Sour Pot Roast
|Powdered cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered ginger||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cider vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onions||3 , sliced|
|Pot roast beef||3 1⁄2 Pound|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Drippings/Shortening / margarine||2 Tablespoon|
1. Dissolve the sugar, cinnamon and ginger in the vinegar, add cloves and onions. Heat in a glass or enamel kettle until the liquid is completely clear.
2. Place the pot roast in an earthen bowl or enamelware dish. Pour the vinegar mixture over it, cover and leave in the refrigerator 12 hours or longer. Turn it several times in this period.
3. When ready to cook, drain the meat. Dredge it in flour, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt. Brown on all sides in heated drippings, shortening or margarine.
4. Add 1 cup water and 1/2 cup of the liquid in which the roast soaked. Cover and simmer about 2 hours, or until the meat seems thoroughly tender.
5. Remove from the kettle. Add the rest of the liquid in which the meat soaked, with 2 tablespoons of flour blended to a paste with a little of the cold liquid. Simmer and stir 5 minutes, or until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Taste, add salt if needed. Put the meat back in this gravy and heat 3 minutes or until hot through before serving.