1. In a medium sized bowl soak 2/3 cup of short grain rice in water for about 12 hours. After 12 hours drain the rice. You will now get about 1 cup of soaked rice.
2. Prepare 1/2 cup of pine nuts by removing the top part of each nut and set aside.
3. Grind the soaked and drained rice with 1 cup of water in a blender for 1 minute on high speed. Drain the rice mixture for a soft and creamy puree. Then add 3 cups of water in to the pan.
4. In a blender grind pine nuts with 1/2 cup of water for half a minute on high speed.
5. Cook the rice mixture for about 10-15 minutes on medium heat. Keep stirring it with a wooden spoon otherwise the porridge will get lumpy.
6. When the porridge becomes thick and starts to bubble it is time to add the pine nuts. Pour the pine nut mixture into the porridge and gently stir it. It is important not to stir it too often.
7. Once it starts to boil again, cook for 3 more minutes on medium high heat. After its done cooking, add about 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Mix gently and it is ready to serve.
8. Serve the porridge in a serving bowl and put some ground pine nuts in the center of the porridge or arrange 4 pine nuts in the center in the shape of a flower.
Who said porridge is only for babies or invalids. Watch this video to learn how to make a delicious and very healthy salty-sweet porridge that you would want to eat anytime of the day. It is thick, creamy and has a wonderfully nutty flavor from the pine nuts. It makes for a nutritious and satisfying breakfast or lunch.
Korean Food: Pine Nut Porridge (잣 죽) Recipe Video, Korean Pine Nut Rice Porridge