Arabic Yogurt & Cucumber with Mint Salad
|Plain yogurt||3 Pound|
|Crushed garlic||1 Tablespoon (3 small cloves used)|
|Fine salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cucumbers||1 1⁄2 Large, partially peeled, quarterd, sliced in small pieces|
|Dry mint||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Scant cup)|
|For the garnish|
|Fresh mint sprigs||To Taste|
|Cucumber||1⁄2 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Pomegranate seeds||2 Teaspoon (As needed)|
1. Partially peel cucumbers as shown in the video.
2. Place on a cutting board the lightly peeled cucumber and cut in half and again in half, making four pieces.
3. With the flat side down on the board, carefully slice the whole cucumber and repeat with the remaining cucumber. (Reserve 1/2 cucumber and slice in half circles. They will be used to garnish).
4. In a large bowl, pour the yogurt, garlic, salt and mix together with a spoon.
5. Then add the sliced cucumbers and mix again.
6. Finally take the dry mint in the palm of your hands and grind them over the bowl as they fall like sprinkles over the mixture. Mix again.
7. Pour the yogurt salad in a serving bowl, then take the half circles of sliced cucumbers and place them around the edges of the your dish.
8. Garnish with pomegranate seeds as shown in the video.
9. Serve with lamb or chicken dishes.
You may also serve as a dip, it goes wonderfully with raw veggies, baked breads and meats.
Calories 96 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.7 mg5.9%
Sodium 356.8 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g3.1%
Dietary Fiber 0.52 g2.1%
Sugars 7.4 g
Protein 5 g10.7%
Vitamin A 5.4% Vitamin C 3.8%
Calcium 18.4% Iron 4.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet