Cold Noodles (Naengmyeon)
|Anchovy broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|For mustard paste|
|Mustard powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Cucumber||1⁄2 , cut in thin strips|
|Apple cider vinegar||1 Centigram|
|Hot pepper flakes||1 Pinch|
|Sugar||2 Teaspoon (divided)|
|Asian pear/Bosc pear||1⁄2 , cored, peeled and sliced|
|Boiled egg||1 , cut in half|
|Yeolmu kimchi||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For hot and spicy sauce|
|Asian pear||1⁄2 , cored, peeled and sliced|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Minced garlic||1 Teaspoon|
|Sliced ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Corn syrup/Rice syrup||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Pepper flakes||4 Tablespoon|
|Hot pepper paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Green onions||3 , chopped|
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Yeolmu kimchi juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Crushed ice cube||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bibim sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a bowl, mix together mustard powder with 1 tablespoon of water, place the bowl over a pot of boiling anchovy and kelp stock and cover.
2. In another bowl, combine together cucumber, salt, vinegar, pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon of sugar, toss and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, place the pear slices, with water to cover and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
For hot and spicy sauce for bibim naengmyeon
4. In a food processor, place all the ingredients for hot and spicy sauce and process to make a fine paste.
5. Transfer the sauce into a bowl and set aside.
6. Add in 1 teaspoon of mustard powder mixture, salt to taste and sesame oil and stir to mix and refrigerate.
7. In a pot, combine kimchi juice, sugar, salt and stock and set aside.
8. In a pot with boiling water, cook the noodles as per the packet instructions for about 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Place the noodle pot under cold running water and rinse 3 times to remove the starch and drain.
10. In two serving bowls, separate the noodles.
For mul naengmyeon:
11. In a bowl with noodles, fill the broth until the noodles are submerged.
12. Add crushed ice and top with yeolmu kimchi, 3 to 4 slices of pear and cucumber, and a half of boiled egg.
13. Add 1 teaspoon of mustard powder mixture.
14. In a bowl with noodles, fill the broth until the noodles are submerged.
15. Add crushed ice and top with yeolmu kimchi, bibim sauce, few pear slices and cucumber and a half of boiled egg on top.
16. Drizzle with sesame oil.
17. Serve the noodles cold.
Calories 986 Calories from Fat 314
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g54.9%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 169.8 mg56.6%
Sodium 3317.9 mg138.2%
Total Carbohydrates 129 g43%
Dietary Fiber 22.5 g89.8%
Sugars 32.9 g
Protein 43 g85.7%
Vitamin A 137.5% Vitamin C 63.3%
Calcium 24.7% Iron 27.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet