Making Mandu (Korean Dumplings)
|Ground pork||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground beef||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped chives||2 Cup (32 tbs) (boo chu (Asian chives))|
|Shiitake mushrooms||5 , soaked for 5 hours and chopped|
|Garlic cloves||3 , chopped finely|
|Sesame oil||3 Teaspoon (use as needed)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|For mandu soup|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Fish sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Green onion||2 , sliced|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1⁄4 , sliced|
1. In a large bowl, combine together ground pork and ground beef.
2. Add in salt, sesame oil, and pepper and mix well with hand and push the mixture to one side of the bowl.
3. Wash the chives, pat dry with kitchen towel and chop them.
4. In a bowl put the chopped chives and mix in vegetable oil.
5. Put the chives next to the ground meat.
6. In a small bowl, combine together mushrooms, onion, soy sauce, pepper, sugar and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil.
7. Mix the mushrooms with hand and transfer the mixture to the big bowl with meat.
8. Drain and squeeze the tofu using paper towel and place it in a small bowl.
9. Add a pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and mix it and mixture to the big bowl with meat.
10. Add garlic to the meat bowl and mix all ingredients by hand.
11. Use half of the mandu skins and half of the filling for fried mandu.
12. Hold a mandu skin in left hand and put a tablespoon of filling in the centre of the skin.
13. Apply little cold water on the edges of the mandu skin with your fingertips.
14. Fold the skin in half over filling, fold and press the sides together to make ripples on the edges, place the mandu on a plastic wrapped tray.
15. Use the remaining half of mandu skins and filling to make mandu for soup
16. Place a tablespoon of filling in the center of the mandu skin, wet the edges of the skin fold and press to stick.
17. Fold again and stick the corners of the skin to give different shape.
For fried mandu:
18. In a hot pan over low heat, put vegetable oil and place mandu..
Cover the pan with lid and allow to cook for few minutes or until light brown in colour.
19. Turn over each mandu, and cook it until it is golden brown, transfer it to a plate.
For mandu soup:
20. In a pot, put together water, anchovies and onion in a wire mesh container.
21. Heat over medium heat, bring to a boil and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes. If water evaporates, you can add more water.
22. After 20 minutes remove the anchovies and onion.
23. Add in fish sauce, garlic and mandu, cover and simmer until mandu floats to the surface.
24. Add in the egg, and green onions and simmer until the egg cooks.
26. Serve the soup hot with a bowl of kimchi and the fried mandu in dipping sauce
To make dipping sauce mix together equal parts vinegar and soy sauce.
You can also freeze the mandu dumplings before cooking and use as needed.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3559 Calories from Fat 1721
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 192 g295.1%
Saturated Fat 62.1 g310.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 782.5 mg260.8%
Sodium 4974.4 mg207.3%
Total Carbohydrates 289 g96.2%
Dietary Fiber 16 g63.8%
Sugars 11.9 g
Protein 174 g348.6%
Vitamin A 130% Vitamin C 154.6%
Calcium 42.4% Iron 134.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet