Sweet and Crispy Chicken Wings ("Dak Kang Jung")
|Chicken wing||20 , cut in half|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Plain flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Starch powder||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Ginger||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled, sliced|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Corn syrup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried red chili pepper||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Peanuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Toasted sesame seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Using a sharp knife, cut the tip of chicken wings and cut them in half.
2. Wash, and rinse the chicken pieces under cold water and drain them.
3. In a bowl, place the chicken, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Break in the eggs, and add the flour and starch powder.
5. In a wok heat the vegetable oil and fry the chicken pieces for 5 minutes, turn and continue cooking for 10 minutes more.
6. Drain the chicken on a tissue paper and set aside to cool.
7. In the same wok, fry the chicken for the second time until the chicken is golden brown in color and crispy.
8. Drain the chicken on a tissue paper.
9. For the sauce, in a wok with 1 cup of boiling water, add in the ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar and vinegar and allow to boil for 5 minutes.
10. Add in corn syrup and reduce the heat and cook for 30 minutes until the sauce thickens, turn off the heat.
11. Reheat the sauce and add in fried chicken, peanuts, dried chili pepper and sesame seeds and toss well to coat.
12. Serve hot.
Calories 1309 Calories from Fat 400
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g71.4%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.6%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 216.9 mg72.3%
Sodium 1726.4 mg71.9%
Total Carbohydrates 172 g57.2%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.6%
Sugars 74.6 g
Protein 60 g120.8%
Vitamin A 14.7% Vitamin C 7%
Calcium 25.2% Iron 39.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet