Lauki (long melon, Chinese melon, bottle gourd) vegetable curry and kofta recipes make very tasty dishes.
Koftas are fried balls made out of bottle gourd (Lauki). Tasty to eat and very healthy. Even kids will love it. Sometimes instead of deep frying or shallow frying I bake my lauki koftas in oven until they turn golden brown...a healthy option. Visit website for more ideas and recipes for koftas.
2 Cup (32 tbs), shredded
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
Green chili paste
2 Tablespoon (For the batter)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)
1. In a food processor, shred the bottle gourd.
2. Take a bowl and squeeze out all the liquid from the shredded bottle gourd and set them aside.
3. Take a bowl with gram flour and corn flour in it. Add curry powder, baking powder, ground almond, salt and mix well.
4. Add the ginger, garlic and green chili paste and a couple of tablespoons of oil. Add freshly chopped cilantro and sugar. Using your hands combine all the ingredients well.
5. Once the mixture is combined well, transfer the contents to the bowl with the shredded bottle gourd. Combine using using your hands. Do not over mix as it may release more water.
6.Take small portions of the prepared bottle gourd batter and make kofta balls and set aside.
7. Take a heavy bottomed pan, heat it with oil at a medium heat and deep fry the koftas till golden brown.
8. Serve koftas as appetizer or add to a curry and serve with rice, roti or paratha.
If you are fond of eating koftas then do check out this recipe. Chef Bhavna shows how to make bottle gourd koftas. Bottle gourd is very good for health. You can substitute it with any other vegetable, as you like. You can add the koftas to your curry as well. So do check out the video for the tasty recipe of koftas.