Orange & Bitters Sherbet
|Superfine sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Generous)|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Bitters||3 Tablespoon (Red Italian, Such As Campari)|
|Egg whites||2 Large (Extra Large Size)|
|Mint leaves||4 (For Garnish)|
1. Working over a bowl to catch any juice, pare the zest from 3 of the oranges, without removing the bitter white pith. If some of the pith does come off with the zest, use the knife to scrape it off. Reserve the zest.
2. Put the sugar and water in a pan and stir over low heat, until dissolved. Increase the heat and boil for 2 minutes, without stirring. Using a wet pastry brush, brush any crystals down the side of the pan, if necessary.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and pour into a heatproof, nonmetallic bowl. Add the reserved orange zest and set aside to steep while the mixture cools to room temperature.
4. Roll the 3 pared oranges back and forth on the counter, pressing them down firmly. Cut them in half and squeeze 1/2 cup of juice from them. If you need more juice, sgueeze the remaining orange. When the syrup is cool, stir in the orange juice and bitters. Strain into a container, cover, and chill for at least 30 minutes.
5. Put the mixture in an ice-cream maker and churn for about 15 minutes. Alternatively, transfer to a freezerproof container and freeze for 1 hour, then place in a bowl and beat to break up the ice crystals. Put back in the container and freeze for 30 minutes. Repeat twice more, freezing for 30 minutes and whisking each time.
6. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, grease-free bowl, until stiff peaks form. Add the egg whites to the ice-cream maker and continue churning for 5 minutes, or add to the ice cream in a bowl, beat, freeze for 30 minutes, then beat again. Transfer to a shallow, freezerproof container, cover, and freeze for up to 2 months.
7. About 15 minutes before serving, place the ice cream in the refrigerator to soften, then scoop into bowls and serve decorated with mint leaves, and candied citrus peel if desired.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1178 Calories from Fat 16
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g2.9%
Saturated Fat 0.2 g1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 98.8 mg4.1%
Total Carbohydrates 294 g98.2%
Dietary Fiber 20.5 g82.1%
Sugars 273.3 g
Protein 12 g24.8%
Vitamin A 40.9% Vitamin C 663.4%
Calcium 36.1% Iron 5.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet