How to Cook Roast Soya Chicken with Coriander and Thyme
|Whole chicken||1 1⁄3 Kilogram|
|To marinate the chicken|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Medium (Spanish onion)|
|Coriander sprigs||3 Medium|
|Dry thyme leaves||1 Pinch|
|Soy sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|To bake the marinated chicken|
1. In a food processor, mince red onion and coriander sprigs until fine.
2. Take the whole chicken, using a sharp knife, pierce holes all over the chicken into the meat and using your fingers rub into the holes salt and the prepared coriander minced marinade, as shown in the video.
3. Next, sprinkle some dry thyme leaves all over the chicken.
4. Pour soy sauce on the chicken.
5. Put the chicken along with the marinade in a plastic bag and let it sit in the refrigerator for about 2 hours to marinate.
6. Grease a baking dish with a tablespoon oil and set aside.
7. Take the marinated chicken, using a pair of scissors or a knife, cut through the spine to open up the chicken as shown in the video.
8. Place the cut opened chicken into the greased baking dish (along with the marinade) and roast in an oven heated to 108 C / 226 F for 45 minutes.
9. After 45 minutes, take the chicken out and check if it's cooked and golden brown. If not bake again for a further 15 minutes at 150 C / 302 F until done.
10. Serve the chicken as it is or with rice or with mash potatoes, peas and carrots. Use the juice in the baking dish as a gravy.
2. Baking dish
Calories 503 Calories from Fat 317
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g54.1%
Saturated Fat 9.7 g48.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 162.5 mg54.2%
Sodium 2318.9 mg96.6%
Total Carbohydrates 2 g0.8%
Dietary Fiber 0.38 g1.5%
Sugars 0.8 g
Protein 42 g83.5%
Vitamin A 7.5% Vitamin C 7%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 14%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet