How to Make Vietnamese Beef Noodle Pho Soup (Pho Bo)
|To prepare the beef bones|
|Beef bones||1 1⁄2 Kilogram|
|Water||6 Liter (As needed to cover the beef bones)|
|To prepare the pho stock|
|Salt||1 Tablespoon (Taste the soup and adjust to your taste)|
|Raw sugar/White sugar||10 Teaspoon|
|Onions||2 Medium, peeled|
|Ginger slices||8 Medium|
|Star anise||6 Medium|
|Cinnamon stick||4 Inch|
|For assembling the pho soup|
|Rice noodles||2 Pound (As needed)|
|Beef||2 Pound, thinly sliced|
|Other condiments for serving the pho soup|
|Fresh basil||100 Gram (As needed)|
|Shallots||5 Medium, chopped (As needed)|
|Coriander||50 Gram, chopped (As needed)|
|Beans sprouts||200 Gram (As needed)|
|Fresh lemon juice||10 Teaspoon|
|Fresh chili||To Taste, chopped|
|Fish sauce||To Taste|
|Hoisin sauce||To Taste|
To prepare the beef bones:
1. Washt he beef bones thouroughly in water
2. In a large pot, put the beef bones in and fill with water to cover the beef bones. Boil for about 10 minutes.
3. After 10 minutes, drain the stock from the bones.
4. Wash the bones thouroughly in water once again.
To prepare the pho stock:
5. In a large pot, bring water to a boil with salt.
6. Add the prepared bones, sugar, onions, ginger slices, star anise, cinnamon and cloves.
7. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat to low and boil for 2 hours.(After 1 1/2 hours, taste and adjust sweetness and saltiness to your taste)
8. Skim off the foam from the surface of the stock occasionally.
9. In a bowl, place a layer of cooked rice noodles at the bottom of the bowl.
10. Top it with a layer of thin beef slices, followed by beef bones.
11. Spoon beef stock / soup over this to cover the beef slices. (The beef slices cook in the steaming hot soup)
12. Sprinkle a mix of shallots, coriander followed by bean sprouts.
13. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the top. Add freshly cut chilies, fish sauce and hoisin sauce to your taste. Mix and the pho soup is ready to be served.
14. Serve warm with your choice of accompnaiments.
Boiling bones for 5 minutes will not make it lose flavor.
It takes 30 minutes, before the bones or meat release it's flavor in a soup stock.
Calories 721 Calories from Fat 134
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23%
Saturated Fat 5.5 g27.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 70.3 mg23.4%
Sodium 1199.2 mg50%
Total Carbohydrates 113 g37.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g18%
Sugars 9.8 g
Protein 30 g60.2%
Vitamin A 26% Vitamin C 26.5%
Calcium 10.5% Iron 26%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet