Oriental Cabbage Rolls With Wakame Broth
|Dried mushrooms/Shiitake mushrooms||1⁄2 Ounce (Black Ear Fungus Mushrooms, 15 Gram)|
|Savoy cabbage leaves||8 Large, washed well|
|Brown rice||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Dried seaweed piece||4 Inch (Kombu)|
|Groundnut oil/Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Fresh ginger root piece||2 Inch, peeled and grated|
|Chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable stock||2 Pint (1.2 Liters)|
|Pearl onions/Tiny shallots||8|
|Dried wakame seaweed||2 Tablespoon|
|Coriander leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Large Handful)|
|Sesame oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Daikon piece/White radish||1 (4 Inch Piece)|
|Red chili||1 Small (Fresh)|
1. Cover the black ear fungus or dried shiitake mushrooms with 300 ml (1/2 pint) boiling water and leave to stand for 20 minutes to swell. Remove from the water and chop finely. Strain the water and reserve.
2. Meanwhile, cut the central stem out of the cabbage leaves and place them in a large bowl. Pour 300 ml (1/2 pint) boiling water over them and blanch for 1 minute or until they are soft and pliable. Remove them from the boiling water, reserving the now green water. Refresh the leaves under running cold water, then drain. Add the cabbage water to the mushroom water.
3. Put the rice into a pan of cold water with the kombu seaweed and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 35 minutes. When it is cooked but retains some bite, drain it well and discard the kombu.
4. Heat the oil in a small pan, add the garlic and heat gently, to cook it and release its flavour into the oil. Add the hot oil to the cooked rice with the chopped fungus or shiitake mushrooms, grated ginger and chopped coriander. Season with pepper.
5. Spread one of the cabbage leaves out flat and place a large spoonful of the rice at the stalk end. Fold over the sides and roll up the leaf into a fat cigar shape. Secure with string or a cocktail stick. Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves and rice.
6. Put the vegetable stock in a saucepan with the reserved vegetable water, pearl onions or shallots and wakame seaweed. Simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add the mirin, pepper to taste and the cabbage rolls and continue to simmer gently for 10 more minutes.
7. Remove the string or cocktail sticks from the cabbage rolls and serve in large bowls with the broth spooned over them. Add a handful of coriander leaves and a sprinkling of sesame oil. Finely grate the daikon or radish and finely chop the red chilli and offer both with the soup. Eat the broth while hot, sprinkling it with daikon and chilli if liked.