Vietnamese Beef Pho part 3 of 8
|For beef stock|
|African black basil leaves||10 Gram, washed|
|Rosemary sprigs||10 Gram, washed|
|Thyme sprigs||10 Gram, washed|
|Flat leaf parsley||10 Gram, washed|
|Pepper corn||1 Teaspoon|
|Beef soup bone||2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Large, quartered|
|Carrot||1 Pound, cut into 3 pieces|
|Jalapeno||10 , halved|
|Red wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Beef meat||1 Pound, thinly sliced|
|Vietnamese rice noodle/Asian rice noodles||400 Gram|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fish sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Mung bean sprout||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Jalapeno||2 , sliced|
|Scallion||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Cilantro||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Thai basil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a cheese cloth, place African black basil leaves, rosemary sprigs, thyme sprigs, flat leaf parsley, bay leaves and pepper corns. Tie with a twine and set aside.
3. Wrap the beef meat slices with saran wrap and place in refrigerator for 60 minutes.
4. Take out the meat and thinly slice. Set aside.
5. In a bowl, place the rice noodles in cold water for 30 minutes.
6. For beef broth – in a heavy duty pan, place beef soup bone, carrot, jalapeno and onion.
7. Cook in oven for 1 hour 30 min and stir after every 20 min.
8. Take out the pan from the oven and pull out the meat from the soup bones. Transfer everything into a 6 quart pan.
9. In heavy duty pan, pour in the red wine and scrape the bits with a spatula. Place on stove and cook until reduced to half.
10. Add in the red wine mixture to the meat mixture and pour in water.
11. Add in the herb bouquet and heat. Remove the scum and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 hours on low heat. If liquid drops below the bone line, then add in more water.
12. After 3 hours strain the broth and place in another pan. Boil for sometime. Let it cool and place in refrigerator.
13. For Soup – Take out the broth in a smaller and bring to a boil.
14. Stir in the fish sauce and mix well.
15. In a serving bowl, place the beef slices and pour in the soup. Top with rice noodles, mung bean sprout, jalapeno, scallion, onion, cilantro and Thai basil.
16. Garnish the pho with cilantro and serve.
Calories 326 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.2%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g11.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 28.1 mg9.4%
Sodium 248.3 mg10.3%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.7%
Sugars 4.8 g
Protein 12 g24.6%
Vitamin A 161.1% Vitamin C 29.6%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 11.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet