Koreans like seafood a lot, so there are many different kinds of seafood dishes in Korean cuisine. The unique flavor of watercress is great in combination with the boiled squid and the spicy sauce.
1 Medium (About 2/3 Cup)
3 1⁄2 Ounce
2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)
3 1⁄2 Ounce, chop in 3-inch length
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chop (Cut diagonally)
Red pepper paste
2 1⁄2 Tablespoon
Red pepper powder
Brown rice vinegar/Apple vinegar
4 Teaspoon (Brown Rice Vinegar or Apple Vinegar)
1. To make a fancy pattern on the squid, make scratch lines 1/4 inch apart with a knife on the squid. Then divide the squid into two halves. Make scratches with the knife just like before in the vertical direction, 1/8-inch apart. At every third scratch cut the squid all the way through into pieces. You will get 2/3 cup.
2. In a pan, boil water and add the watercress in it. Add salt. Boil it for 20 seconds on high heat. Immediately after 20 seconds remove the watercress and quickly put it into ice chilled water.
3. Take a pan with 2 cups of water, bring it to boil and cook the squid pieces in it for 3 minutes on high heat.
4. Squeeze the water out of the watercress, you will get about 1/3 cup of watercress.
5. In a mixing bowl, combine the squid, watercress, cucumber, onion and all the seasoning ingredients. Mix well.
6. Serve with rice, soup and other Korean side dishes.
Removing the boiled watercress immediately after 20 seconds from the boiling water and quickly putting it into ice cold water helps retain its green color.
If you like experimenting with new and unique dishes, like the ones you that you get in fine dining restaurants, then try this one. This salad has a unusual combination of flavors and textures. If you love squid, you’ll like this dish. Well, unless you don’t like watercress. It makes a pretty summer appetizer and though spicy it is quite refreshing and light on the pallet.