Halloween Korean-Style Pumpkin Porridge
|Sweet rice flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs) (For blending the pumpkin)|
|For the rice ball|
|Sweet rice flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|For the beans|
|Black beans/Red beans||15 Ounce|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. Cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and strings from inside.Cover the pumpkins with foil and bake for an hour at 350 F.
2. Drain the liquid away from a can of black beans.
4. In a pan add water, brown sugar and heat on medium high. Continue stirring till all the sugar dissolves.
5. Add the beans and cook for 7 minutes on high heat. Occasionally stir so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan or burn. After 7 minutes most of the liquid will have evaporated.
6. In a small bowl, to make the rice balls add sweet rice flour and water,combine and knead the dough well. Once done make small balls with the dough.
7. When the pumpkin is done baking, let it cook and scoop out the pumpkin. Discard the skin. You will get about 3 cups of pumpkin. Add the pumpkin along with water in a mixer or blender. Blend well for about 3 minutes till smooth.
8. In a bowl combine sweet rice flour and water. (This will be used to thicken the pumpkin mixture).
9. Take a pan and pour the pumpkin mixture into it and cook on medium high heat. Pour the rice flour mixture into this and immediately stir or the rice flour will form lumps. Add sugar and salt and stir.
10. Once it starts to boil, add the rice balls and cook for 5 minutes on high heat. Keep stirring it so that the rice balls do not stick to the bottom. When the rice balls are soft and chewy they are done.
11. Take a serving bowl and spoon black beans at the bottom of the bowl. Pour some of the pumpkin porridge along with the sticky rice cakes on top of the black beans. The sugar and salt can be adjust as per your individual taste
12. Serve this warm porridge with kimchi.
Calories 737 Calories from Fat 15
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g2.8%
Saturated Fat 0.57 g2.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 300.2 mg12.5%
Total Carbohydrates 160 g53.2%
Dietary Fiber 17.9 g71.4%
Sugars 48.5 g
Protein 29 g58.4%
Vitamin A 502.5% Vitamin C 51%
Calcium 20.3% Iron 52.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet