|Peeled garlic cloves||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sliced shallots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salted roasted macadamia nuts/Blanched almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thin fresh galangal slice/Fresh ginger||6 , size of quarter|
|Ground turmeric||1 Teaspoon|
|Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Fat skimmed chicken broth||2 1⁄2 Quart|
|Lemon grass stalk/3 strips 1/2 by 4 inch lemon peel, yellow part only||15 Inch|
|Boned, skinned chicken breasts||1 1⁄2 Pound, rinsed|
|Dried bean thread noodles||6 Ounce (Saifun)|
|Finely shredded cabbage||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Bean sprouts||3 Cup (48 tbs), rinsed and drained|
|Thinly sliced green onions||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Including Top)|
|Diced roma tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh cilantro||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hard-cooked eggs||4 Large, shelled and cut into wedges|
|Potato chips/Shrimp chips||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fried shallots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chili sambal/Asian red chili paste / minced fresh hot chilies||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a food processor, combine garlic, sliced shallots, macadamia nuts, galangal, and turmeric. Whirl mixture to a paste, scraping container sides as needed. (Or chop ingredients with a knife, then whirl in a blender to a paste.)
2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, stir the paste and the oil until mixture barely begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, cover, and bring to a boil.
3. Meanwhile, trim stem end and any tough leaves off lemon grass and pull off coarse outer layer. Crush stalk with the back of a knife, then cut into 3-inch pieces. Add to broth.
4. Add chicken breasts to broth. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the breasts are no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), 15 to 20 minutes. Lift out chicken and let cool at least 10 minutes. Skim fat from broth. (Or if making ahead, cover and chill the broth and the chicken separately. Lift off and discard fat from the chilled broth.)
5. In a bowl, pour 5 cups hot water over bean thread noodles. Let stand until the noodles are tender to bite, about 5 minutes; drain. If desired, snip through noodles with scissors to make Shorter strands.
6. Season broth with salt and pepper to taste. Return to a boil over high heat.