Oriental Meat Balls
|Butter/Margarine||1 Ounce (25 g)|
|Onion||1 Medium, skinned and finely chopped|
|Lean minced beef||1 Pound (450 g)|
|Brown breadcrumbs||1 Ounce (25 g)|
|Fresh brown breadcrumbs||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Vegetable oil||45 Milliliter (3 tbsp)|
|Green pepper||1 Medium, seeded and roughly chopped|
|Red pepper||1 Medium, seeded and roughly chopped|
|Flour||30 Milliliter (2 level tbsp)|
|Soft brown sugar||30 Milliliter (2 level tbsp)|
|Soy sauce||2 Teaspoon (10 ml)|
|Wine vinegar||30 Milliliter (2 tbsp)|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Pint (150 ml)|
|Beef stock||1⁄4 Pint (150 ml)|
|Cooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Put the butter into a 1.7 litre (3 pint) ovenproof glass bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds until the butter melts, then stir in the onion and cover with cling film, pulling back one corner to vent. Microwave on HIGH for 5-7 minutes until the onion softens.
2. Remove the bowl from the oven and uncover it. Add the minced beef, breaderumbs and season well with salt and pepper and mix the ingredients well.
3. With damp hands, shape the minced beef mixture into 20 balls, place them on a plate and chill them for at least 30 minutes.
4. Put the oil into a shallow ovenproof dish and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes until the oil is hot, then add the meat balls and roll them gently in the oil until they are evenly coated. Microwave uncovered on HIGH for 3-4 minutes, turning over the meat balls during the cooking time.
5. Remove the meat balls from the dish and put them aside. Add the peppers to the oil remaining in the dish, cover the top with cling film, pulling back one comer to vent, and microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes until the peppers are softened. Add the flour, mix well and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
6. Gradually stir in the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice and stock. Microwave on HIGH for 3-4 minutes, until boiling and thickened, stirring frequently.
7. Return the meat balls to the dish and gently coat them with the sauce. Cover them with cling film, pulling back one corner to vent. Microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes, then reduce the setting and microwave on LOW for 15 minutes. Serve with rice.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2320 Calories from Fat 1144
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 129 g197.8%
Saturated Fat 45.2 g226.2%
Trans Fat 3.4 g
Cholesterol 342.2 mg114.1%
Sodium 1724.2 mg71.8%
Total Carbohydrates 187 g62.2%
Dietary Fiber 11.1 g44.3%
Sugars 59.9 g
Protein 109 g217.4%
Vitamin A 109.3% Vitamin C 595.7%
Calcium 21.2% Iron 91.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet