Aubergine And Butter Bean Biryani
|Butter beans||3 Ounce, soaked (75 Grams)|
|Sunflower oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Poppy seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Long grain brown rice||8 Ounce (250 Grams)|
|Chilli powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Aubergine||1 Medium, diced|
|Red pepper||1 Large, deseeded and cut into strips|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cold water/Butter bean stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shoyu||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Creamed coconut/45 milliliter natural yogurt||1⁄2 Ounce, grated (15 Gram)|
1. Drain the beans. Put in a saucepan and cover with fresh water. Bring to the boil and boil fast for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until just tender. Drain well, reserving the stock.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Gently cook the poppy and mustard seeds until they begin to pop. Add the rice and continue cooking gently for 3-4 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl mix together the chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala and coriander, adding 2 tbsp (30ml) cold water to make a paste. Pour the paste over the rice, then add the aubergine, red pepper and butter beans, coating them well. Cook gently for 3-4 minutes.
4. Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice, and add them to the rice mixture. Make the juice up to 1 pint (600ml) with the water or bean stock and pour on to the rice. Add the shoyu.
5. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the rice is cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the creamed coconut or yogurt. Check the seasoning and serve hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1635 Calories from Fat 238
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.8%
Saturated Fat 5.8 g29%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1587.6 mg66.1%
Total Carbohydrates 308 g102.5%
Dietary Fiber 51.6 g206.5%
Sugars 31 g
Protein 53 g105.9%
Vitamin A 146% Vitamin C 348.3%
Calcium 51% Iron 114.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet