Korean Food: Royal Palace Tteokbokki (궁중 떡볶이)
|Sticky rice cakes||30 Medium (2-inch)|
|Beef||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (3 ounces)|
|Dried shiitake mushrooms||2 Medium, thinly sliced (Soaked and drained)|
|Onion||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Sweet peppers||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), chop (cut into 2-inch length and 1/4-inch thin strips)|
|Carrot||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chop (cut into 2-inch length and 1/4-inch thin strips)|
|Hot pepper||1 (Optional)|
|Soy sauce||3 1⁄2 Tablespoon (3- 3 1/2)|
|Sugar||2 Tablespoon (1 1/2-2)|
|Minced garlic||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped green onion||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Shiitake mushroom broth/Water||3 Tablespoon|
1. Soak the shiitake mushrooms in water for 10 minutes. Take out the mushrooms after 10 minutes and squeeze out the water. Save the broth for later. Slice the mushrooms into thin pieces.
2. In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the seasoning except the sesame seeds. Adjust the amount of soy sauce and sugar as per your taste.
3. Take a bowl and add into it the beef, mushrooms and 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mixture and mix well. Marinate and set it aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
4. In a pan of boiling water add the frozen sticky rice cakes and cook for about 2 minutes until they become soft.
5. Once the rice cakes are done cooking drain the water
6. In a heated pan brown the marinated beef and mushrooms on medium. Add the onions and carrots and fry for about a minute on high heat.
6. Add the rice cakes, sweet peppers, hot peppers and the rest of the seasoning mixture. Fry for 5 more minutes on high heat until the rice cakes and all the vegetables absorb the flavor of the seasoning. Add 2 tablespoons of water or the mushroom broth.
7. Once done cooking, sprinkle sesame seeds before serving and serve warm.
Calories 522 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.7%
Saturated Fat 2.1 g10.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.5 mg5.5%
Sodium 1290.2 mg53.8%
Total Carbohydrates 98 g32.8%
Dietary Fiber 7.7 g30.9%
Sugars 14.5 g
Protein 16 g32.9%
Vitamin A 45.7% Vitamin C 55%
Calcium 5.7% Iron 17.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet