Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs
|Beef short rib||3 1⁄2 Pound (LA style)|
|Soy sauce||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (for the marinade)|
|Water/Cooking wine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (for the marinade)|
|Honey/Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (for the marinade)|
|Black peppercorn||1 Teaspoon, ground (for the marinade)|
|Korean pear||1 Medium (or 2 ripe bosc pears, for the marinade)|
|Garlic clove||8 Medium (for the marinade)|
|Onion||1 Medium (for the marinade)|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon, chopped (for the marinade)|
|Sesame oil||2 Tablespoon (for the marinade)|
|Soy bean paste||2 Tablespoon (for the dipping sauce)|
|Hot pepper paste||1 Tablespoon (for the dipping sauce)|
|Green onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped (for the dipping sauce)|
|Sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon (for the dipping sauce)|
|Lettuce||10 Medium (leaves, for garnish)|
|Perilla leaves||6 Medium (for garnish)|
|Green chili||1 Medium (for garnish)|
|Cucumber||1 Medium (for garnish)|
|Carrot||1 Medium (for garnish)|
1. Trim excess fat from the short ribs and rinse a couple times in cold water.
2. Soak the ribs in cold water for 10-20 minutes to remove the blood.
3. To prepare vegetables:
4. Rinse and drain lettuce and perilla leaves.
5. Put them on a plate or basket.
6. Cut a cucumber into strips 3 ½ inch to 4 inches in length and ½ inch thick (8-10 cm long x1 ½ cm thick).
7. Chop green chili peppers and slice a few cloves of raw garlic and put them next to green lettuce and perilla leaves.
To make marinade:
8. In a large bowl, add 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup water or cooking wine, ¼ cup honey (or 1/3 cup brown sugar) and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper.
9. Blend 1 Korean pear (about 2 cups’ worth), 8 cloves of garlic, 1 medium onion, and 1 ts of chopped ginger until it turns into a white creamy liquid.
10. Add it to your soy sauce base and add 2 tablespoon sesame oil.
To cook the ribs:
11. Rinse the short ribs in fresh cold water a couple more times to remove any remaining bone fragments and drain the water.
12. Add the ribs to the marinade and mix it well, by hand.
13. Keep it in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight.
To make dipping sauce:
14. In a small bowl with a spoon mix these 2 tablespoon soy bean paste, 1 tablespoon of hot pepper paste, 1 stalk of chopped green onion, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds.
15. Grill, pan fry or BBQ the ribs.
16. When the both sides are cooked, put them on a serving plate.
17. Cut the meat part off the bone with scissors into bite sized pieces.
18. Wrap it in a lettuce leaf and a perilla leaf.
19. Add dipping sauce, garlic, and a piece of green chili pepper to the pocket, wrap it up and put it in your mouth.
20. Serve this with rice and kimchi, too.
If you can’t find a Korean pear, use 2 ripe bosc pears. I sometimes use bosc pears and they work well.
Calories 946 Calories from Fat 696
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 77 g118.9%
Saturated Fat 32 g160.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 150.8 mg50.3%
Sodium 883.4 mg36.8%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.6 g38.3%
Sugars 15.9 g
Protein 35 g69.8%
Vitamin A 645.4% Vitamin C 161.8%
Calcium 16.7% Iron 39.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet